WELCOME TO THIRD GRADE!
I am very excited to start the new school year with my new group of Chomka Chums. We have an exciting year ahead of us!
August 22, 2018 5:00 pm Back to School Night
September 12, 2018 5:30 pm Open House
- Please read and return all school forms promptly.
- Homework will begin the second week of school.
- Necessary Materials:
2. personal headphones for chrome books
3. writing notebook
4. dry erase markers
Beginning of the year news!
- Students will learn the expectations and routines in their new classroom.
- The Common Core State Standards guide our instruction.
- The third graders will work as a class to develop a set of rules that will keep our classroom safe and a positive learning environment.
- Students are expected to be:
- OPEN to learning CARING RESPONSIBLE SUCCESSFUL
- The first math unit will focus on Place Value. Students will be learning to compare and order numbers through the thousands place. Following our study of place value, students will be adding and subtracting multi-digit numbers with and without regrouping.
- The Launching Unit in reading focuses on the reading routines and strategies which teach children how to become good readers, who like to read a variety of genres.
- The first unit in Fundations will focus on short vowels and the various spelling patterns that are most common with short vowels.
- Writing will focus on story writing. Students will be writing personal narratives. Instruction will pertain to the writing process of planning, drafting, revising, editing and publishing. The content of their writing will include the story elements of characters, setting, and events which are organized in the sequential order of a beginning, middle and end. The Chums will begin the year handwriting their pieces. However, once they recieve their chrome books most writing will happen on their computers. They will be able to access their writing a home. Students will be able to work on their pieces at home and you will be able to view their work.
- Please contact me with any concerns or questions.